This is one of Zimmer's finest scores, and one of his earliest efforts, and still considered one of his best. The sound quality on this release is pristine, and has been very well mastered. Considering the only other sources for the score have been lower quality bootlegs, its fantastic to finally hear all the individual instruments so clearly.
Shirley Walker's orchestrations combined with Zimmer's synth work is pulsating, and laid the groundwork for most of his mid 90s efforts.
While Harold Faltermeyer seemingly left Hollywood at the start of the 90s, it seems Zimmer took over the role as the main guy for synth heavy scores.
This release contains the full complete score unaltered, and also includes additional versions of cues, including the movie version of the title song by Gregg Allman. All in all, this is a great buy and well worth it.
You may remember that this score contains a theme which was eventually reused for Zimmer's Batman Begins. The original version here is still superior, retaining the same strong percussion and urgent theme desired by the movies tokyo visuals and cinematography.
Definitely a great addition to any soundtrack score collection. La La Land always deliver great quality releases, and seemed to have listened to many fan requests for these classic scores.
- Sato Pt. 1/One-Way Glass (6:34)
- Osaka/Phony Cops** (1:46)
- You Gonna Be Nice?*/Sato Pt. 2** (5:21)
- Sato Watching/Circling Motorbikes (1:59)
- Sugai's Photo/Sato Pt. 3 (3:58)
- Sato Pt. 4 (2:05)
- Charlie Loses His Head** (8:22)
- Sequins (2:42)
- Masa's Reprimand / Sugai Pt. 1 (5:33)
- The Steel Mill (2:45)
- Steel Mill Chase/Airplane/Escape***(6:18)
- Sugai Pt. 2 (8:50)
- Arrival of Oyabuns/Sato's Arrival/Meeting (7:55)
- Bikes**/Fight**/Nick and Masa** (9:29)
TOTAL DISC TIME: 74:09
ORIGINAL EMI ALBUM
- Livin' on the Edge of the Night -Iggy Pop (3:38)
- The Way You Do the Things You Do -UB 40 (3:15)
- Back to Life (Jam on the Groove Mix) -Soul II Soul (5:07)
- Laserman -Ryuichi Sakamoto(4:48)
- Singing in the Shower -Les Rita Mitsouko and Sparks (4:22)
- I'll Be Holding On -Gregg Allman (5:38)
BLACK RAIN SUITE
- Sato (4:45)
- Charlie Loses His Head***(7:03)
- Sugai (6:55)
- Nick and Masa***(2:52)
- Airplane Muzak (source) -Shirley Walker (2:05)
- Charlie Loses His Head Pt. 1 (alternate percussion) (2:32)
- Charlie Loses His Head Pt. 2
(alternate with koto and oboe) (2:47)
- Masa's Reprimand***(alternate) (1:49)
- Bikes / Fight (alternate) (3:18)
- Bikes (percussion only) (1:35)
- Charlie Loses His Head (monks wild) (2:12)
- I'll Be Holding On (main title version) -Gregg Allman (2:36)
TOTAL DISC TIME: 67:48
TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 141:57
* not used in film
** contains material unused in film
***contains instrumental melody of "I'll Be Holding On"